Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Samsung 500

Ok, so have I said lately how much I HATE Nascar? So, being the best wife any man could ever have, I went to Nascar with Chad on Sunday. A co-worker had infield tickets that he let us use and we were able to go to the race on Sunday. They had an RV there and we parked and my co-worker drove out and picked us up and took us inside and we hung out in the infield all day. I have to say, if there is a such thing for Nascar, we had the royal treatment on Sunday. We had clean restrooms to use, food that we didn't have to pay an arm and a leg for, passes that allowed us to sit with friends at a comfortable distance from each other (as opposed to feeling like you are sitting in the stranger's lap next to you), drinks, and shade if you got too hot or didn't want to sit outside any more. How much better does it get than that?

So, we make it out there about 8:45, we call my co-worker and he comes and gets us, and we hang out until the races at 1:00. We throw footballs, run remote control cars, get free stuff that the sponsors are handing out everywhere, all that fun stuff. I have to say it started out a little chilly, but it turned out to be an absolutely BEAUTIFUL day. I couldn't have asked for a prettier day to do something that I thought was going to be the most miserable experience of my life. I have to admit, though, that I might enjoy Nascar. Wait...did I say that out loud??? Ok, ok, maybe I felt just a tiny bit at home among all of the Rednecks on Sunday being that I came from a town of 1,200 people that all knew my business, my family's business, the dog's business and the cow's business. Yes, it is the place that everyone knows everyone and as much as you try, you can't get away with something without it being all over the police scanner (which EVERYONE in a small town owns) by the end of the night! However, I have to say that we shower, brush our hair and teeth, and wear clean clothes where I come from. I cannot honestly say that for everyone that I saw Sunday. However, I think we were in the "nice" part of the track on Sunday, if that is possible!

I have to give props to Denny Hamlin, the FedEx #11 driver. He came in 5th, which we were slightly disappointed in...ok Chad was slightly disappointed in. He is staying in the top 5, though, so that is apparently a good place to be. I don't know anything about Nascar, and I don't pretend to, so if I jack up the terminology or stats or something, please forgive me. For the sake of the atmosphere, I did find myself rooting for him, but mostly because Chad roots for him.

All in all, it was pretty fun. I never thought those words would come out of my mouth about Nascar, but we did have a pretty fun day. I would love to have you check out our pictures under my explanation of our day, but like dorks, we forgot our camera!!! I guess you can only expect so much at 7:00am from us! We would have loved to share with you the company we kept on Sunday as well as maybe a few pictures of the race, but the only thing we could share with you are a couple of sunburns! It was worth the burn, though. We had a great time. Thank God for beautiful weather and RV's!!!

5 comments:

Lisa said...

GREAT! Now my friends are rednecks. I hope we haven't lost you to the dark side for good. LOL

Alison said...

It's nice to know you survived and maybe even had a little fun along the way!

Lisa - Be nice about the rednecks....all the ones related to me are in East TX too! (I don't actually claim all of them though!)

Sherry Turner said...

I think living in Anna doomed us from the beginning! Guess what the means, Lisa...

JB said...

Glad you enjoyed it. Or kind of enjoyed it. Did you get dizzy from watching them go round and round and round?????

Sherry Turner said...

No. You can't even see the whole track from the infield. There are so many things between each end that you can't see everything. We were literally on the fence of the infield in the turn, so it was next to impossible to see the other end of the track. So, no dizzy fun on top of the RV!!!